Main Menu

Ian's Avenger Wagon Discussion

Started by ianboydsnr, June 27, 2012, 01:18:04 AM

azza1600

Far out does that say France on the side of your block, A local guy told me he had a Avenger with that, never saw it, just took his word

ianboydsnr

Quote from: avenga on July 26, 2012, 10:48:25 AM
It stays cool as on the motorway. I have the light in the cabin which tells me when my fan comes on and it only comes on when I am stuck in traffic.

I know it does reduce the airflow but there is still plenty of airflow, even at 50kph around town it doesn't need the fan on.

what size fan is that?

I have ordered a 9 inch fan, still thinking of putting it in the front, cooling wont be an issue where I live, but still not decided!

ianboydsnr

Quote from: azza1600 on July 26, 2012, 07:43:02 PM
Far out does that say France on the side of your block, A local guy told me he had a Avenger with that, never saw it, just took his word

Yes it does say France on the side of the block, rather surprised me, I thought they were built in Britain!

Paddy75

Well done Ian. I see you got a timing cover I am going to ask the farmer to move the scrapper in his field to get the engine/box and axle out of it.
Last thing I've done on mine is by-pass the headlamp switch with a couple of relays and feed the lights direct from the battery to save the switch contacts from burning out. The headlamps are now very strong although the old Lucas alternator is struggling. H4 halogens, probabbly not as much of an issue on a MK2 as they had halogens fitted although if you relay the lamps direct from the battery you'd likely get a bit more light.
Abroad and thinkin' of avenger

ianboydsnr

Quote from: Paddy75 on July 27, 2012, 12:44:49 AM
Well done Ian. I see you got a timing cover I am going to ask the farmer to move the scrapper in his field to get the engine/box and axle out of it.
Last thing I've done on mine is by-pass the headlamp switch with a couple of relays and feed the lights direct from the battery to save the switch contacts from burning out. The headlamps are now very strong although the old Lucas alternator is struggling. H4 halogens, probabbly not as much of an issue on a MK2 as they had halogens fitted although if you relay the lamps direct from the battery you'd likely get a bit more light.

That's a good idea, it already has H4 headlamps and a 40amp alternator fitted, but probably worth doing, even if its just to save wear on the switch!

oldschool

Yep a relay helps make the electrics last longer, mounts on the r/h inner guard just above the wiring loom, so that when you cut the wires they don't need to be extended, just eyes fitted. The power wire is short, directly from the starter solenoid.

ianboydsnr

Quote from: oldschool on July 27, 2012, 10:45:26 AM
Yep a relay helps make the electrics last longer, mounts on the r/h inner guard just above the wiring loom, so that when you cut the wires they don't need to be extended, just eyes fitted. The power wire is short, directly from the starter solenoid.

that looks rather neat, can't seem to find that relay in the UK!

Edit

I have bought one of these

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/280594802876?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_2564wt_1397

and one of these to put it in

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/250732273917?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649#ht_522wt_1067

can you take a shot from further back, so I can understand where to tap into the loom!

ianboydsnr

well managed to get it running and that in itself has thrown up some problems,

the clutch seems stuck on, tried starting up in gear and pushing the brake, whilst the clutch is held in, but it doesn't want to separate, is there any tricks that work well on avengers? I don't really want to remove the gearbox, its strange as it worked ok when I bought it a couple of months ago.

one of the core plugs is leaking, not one that i replaced, but the front top one, that's strange also, as it looked like new, not much of a problem, as I bought the set, and its the front top one, so easy to get at,

anyhow the engine runs well, the brakes seem better than the tyres which seem worse than the clutch  ;D

any ideas on the clutch?

ianboydsnr

clutch is now free, left it in disgust for an our, then started her up in first again, tried the handbrake whist revving it, all of a sudden its revving and not going anywhere, wondered what had happened, then remembered that I still had the clutch in!  ;D

avenga

Nice work on the rust repairs and exhaust.

The electric fan looks similar to the one I use. Should keep it nice and cool. Have you got it hooked up to a thermostat control?

Great job getting it back on the road after all this time. It wouldn't have been very old when it was taken off the road in 1985.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

ianboydsnr

Quote from: avenga on August 24, 2012, 11:58:55 PM
Nice work on the rust repairs and exhaust.

The electric fan looks similar to the one I use. Should keep it nice and cool. Have you got it hooked up to a thermostat control?

Great job getting it back on the road after all this time. It wouldn't have been very old when it was taken off the road in 1985.

The car was originally fitted with an electric fan, there is a rad switch at the bottom of the radiator, it seems to work fine, but it needs a few bushes and the clutch done, and the rear brakes looked at, before it can go for a roadworthy test.

skint at the moment, so it might be a while!

ianboydsnr

well managed to get the clutch and the bushes done, but as always there is more, in freeing of the rear brakes, it has become evident that the rear wheel bearings need replaced, and I have decided to replace all the brake pipes, with Kunifer, and the rear flexible hose,and new rear wheel cylinders as well, which I have purchased, but I am struggling to find the time to fit, as I am progressing work on my vauxhall viva as well, hopefully by the spring I can have the avenger back on the road!

ianboydsnr

well despite no posts, I have done some work on the wagon,

sorted out the lights, a few dodgy earths was the problem, replaced the fog lights as one was broken, though they are not a legal requirement pre 80's,

then replaced the grumbling rear wheel bearings, fitted new wheel cylinders and all the brake pipes with kunifer, replaced the handbrake cables, fitted the battery securely,

whilst the wagon was on the lift, notices that the steering was a bit notchy, this turns out to be the strut top mounts, struggling to get my hands on a new set of those,

going to replace the strut inserts, and the bellows when I manage to locate new top mounts, speedyspares have them listed, but have non in stock!

hopefully the last hurdle before getting the car MOT'd, though I still need to replace the 80's spark plugs, rotor arm and cap and leads!