Main Menu

Ian's Avenger Wagon Discussion

Started by ianboydsnr, June 27, 2012, 01:18:04 AM

ianboydsnr

Quote from: avenga on July 06, 2012, 11:19:58 PM
Yes, you are correct about that Z shaped metal pipe. It is to allow the water to recirculate while the heater is off, and it does go where those copper pipes are.

Your radiator looks really good. Much better than any of mine.

That bottom pipe looks a mess. Good to see you are cleaning it all out. It is really good to give the whole cooling system a flush every now and then so it doesn't get that clogged.

if I can get it back together with a new timing cover, I will flush the system using a couple of dishwasher tablets!

as for the radiator, I have been offered a new one, just need to make certain that it is the correct one, with the hole to fit the fan switch, If not, then i will probably have the original re cored, it looks far better in the pictures than in real life!

I am not sure that this should be posted here, maybe a moderator could move the non introduction part to the correct part of the forum?

ianboydsnr

Well, just as I thought things were going well, I am thrown a curve ball, one of the torsion bars that hold the rear door up has snapped,
don't know why, when I refitted the door, it seemed to work fine then whilst I was trying to adjust the door, it just snapped,
its unlikely that I can repair, as its under tension even when the door is shut, looks like I may have to replace the torsion bars with gas struts of some description,
and that is going to delay the re fitting of the back window,
this also led me onto another problem, the adjuster at the bottom of the back door was seized,
clearly it has been seized for some time, using a impact driver produced a few holes and distortion in the panel!  :o

pictures to follow  ;)

ianboydsnr

just checking the wheel bolts, seems they are M12x1.25, seems strange that they are metric, I would have expected imperial, still it makes it easy to get a set off alloy wheel bolts to fit it!

Today the boot catch area is getting a little skim of filler!

if the timing cover problem isn't resolved soon, then I am going to plan B  :-*

oldschool

Yes they're metric Ian...just to be different from Ford...lol
In NZ we had metric threads on the parts that were made here, like the seats.
Couldn't get that timing cover from Paddy?

ianboydsnr

Quote from: oldschool on July 09, 2012, 09:11:04 PM
Yes they're metric Ian...just to be different from Ford...lol
In NZ we had metric threads on the parts that were made here, like the seats.
Couldn't get that timing cover from Paddy?

Possibly, I would be interested, but it would be a shame to break a perfectly good engine, just to provide mine with the timing cover, was kind of hoping that one from a broken engine would have turned up!

avengertiger

your on the asoc arent you? someone on there will have one and i think speedy spares have them listed on there parts list

ianboydsnr

Quote from: avengertiger on July 10, 2012, 06:15:07 PM
your on the asoc arent you? someone on there will have one and i think speedy spares have them listed on there parts list

Sort of, I had to wait until pay day to afford the joining fee of ?24, strangely you can join online, but then have to wait an age for the process to give you a member number, and you have no means of even viewing the forum until you have that number,

all seems a bit to restrictive to me, a bit to unwelcoming, I paid on the 6th and I am still waiting for the member number, I am a member of the A40 owners and viva owners, and they both have a forum where part access is not dependant on membership, and full access was granted within a day, even though I had yet to receive my membership number,

Speedyspares don't have the timing cover listed, just the gaskets!

Edit: speedyspares seem to have one, so I have ordered it today!

avenga

Great news on finding the timing cover at speedyspares!!

The alternator seems like it scrubed up nicely. Alternators have always been the bain of my life, always seem to pack up on me. I am fitting an alternator off a diesel when I finish my restore, so I can use the vacuum pump on the alternator to provide vacuum for my new brake setup.

I know how much of a pain rust can be and how it seems like the more you fix, the more there is hiding underneath it. I am just finishing the rust repairs on my resto.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

avengertiger

great stuff i had a feeling speedys had them,yes the asoc can be a bit difficult to get into,it was harder before they got paypal,and you had to pay by cheque,postal order etc harder from overseas.
the forum is excellent though and the acsess to parts unrivalled lot of knowledge on there also.
it can take a while to feel part of things i am a member now 20 yrs probably on and off and still feel a little on the outside,get out to the national day and put faces to names and they are good guys though.
keep going with the resto

avenga

Wow that new front cover looks great.

Rust repairs look like they are coming along nicely.

Good call on that fan. I had my mechanical fan break and kill my radiator. I put in a slim line electric one.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

RPM Photography

Thomsler

She did not too much suffer from any rust but there is some work!!

I admire the realized work and good luck the continuation of the restoration!
I hold my passion of my dad which possessed 2 Chrysler!!

oldschool

Hang in there Ian...you're getting there! Scarlett had a striped out interior and gearbox in the boot when I bought her...didn't even know if she went...and with a lot of TLC she came up trumps!
I've found a slim 9" electric fan fits in nicely under the top hose on the rear of the radiator...in the same place as the original one. The Avenger only has a small radiator, so best not to put the electric fan in front as it can restrict the air flow, which is why Chrysler put them on the rear from the factory....just wire it to make sure it sucks through the radiator...not blows into it...lol

avenga

I put mine in the front and it works fine.

RPM Photography

oldschool

It does reduce the swept area of the radiator though Richard, which means you may have to use the fan while highway driving, instead of just around town in stop start traffic.

avenga

It stays cool as on the motorway. I have the light in the cabin which tells me when my fan comes on and it only comes on when I am stuck in traffic.

I know it does reduce the airflow but there is still plenty of airflow, even at 50kph around town it doesn't need the fan on.

RPM Photography