Main Menu

My 1974, British, 1500 Super with SR20DE

Started by Nikolai, October 21, 2011, 07:29:04 AM

Nikolai

Yay! Finally ready to go to the electrician.

Had a few extra delays, plus general business at work meant I couldn't do the required running around.

Unfortunately it will be sitting on it's old crappy wheels and tyres until this coming weekend when I'm borrowing a guard roller which should push the guards out enough to fit the new wheels on nicely. Not going to do flares for the time being, just want it back and running!

However, I now need to tow it from Beach Haven to Titirangi (electrician) and back to Beach Haven (to return car trailer). So hopefully I can find someone kind enough with a tow bar so I can get this sorted and taken to the electrician.

Pictures:

Nikolai

Bad quality audio. But as you can hear... noisy tappets :(
I guess the previous owner gave it a hard life.

It's also hard to hear - but it has a problem at warm idle.

Basically, dead cold start = idles at 1000RPM, no problems.

Once it's warm though, it idles between 700RPM - 1000RPM, never stable, always bouncing around. I feel like the TPS is a bit buggered, maybe the spring?, or perhaps something not quite right with the accelerator pedal linkage as a tiny tap on the pedal will send it to 1500RPM straight away, and the pedal is super touchy.

If anyone is keen to have a look (In the Epsom area) and to give it a proper tune, super keen with beers etc.

The other problems are that although we cut out a lot of the front-inner guard, there's still a little bit more to do as occasionally I still get rub in the front.

Off to a panel-beater this week to get the rear guards sorted out, as can only fit old crappy Nankangs on it for now :(

Lowered the front a bit too, looks boss

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h62DMc6vUHw&feature=youtu.be

Plans are:
  #1 - Sort out rear-guards to get rear wheels on.
  #2 - Sort out warm idle/pedal issues
  #3 - Speedo cluster (from an auto Bluebird) not reading past 30km/h, wildy inaccurate anyway, replace with a proper manual SR20DE-something cluster - check speed sender?
  #4 - Fuel sender not sending anything (unfortunate as it was out of the same car the engine was from)
  #5 - Sort out dash, headlight & number plate switches, wiper switch and fluid pump
  #6 - dynamat & carpet
  #7 - New seats & seatbelts (eg set of front & rear Recaros from a Golf or similar, modified to suit)
   #8 - Dodgy warrant + rego until I go for cert
   #9 - GP Trackday!?

Nikolai

Some updates...

Update time! Woo.

So the car has been at the panel-beaters, and is getting painted at the end of the coming week. Although it looked mint, there was quite a lot of cancer - more than me or the panel-beater thought initially.

Teaser:

I've also slowly been ticking away at the interior, experimenting with how I can restore some of the interior parts - for example - using vinyl wrap. It works pretty well, but it's really tricky and painstaking to apply!

Edit: Have just been made aware of fibrenew.co.nz which may be waaay cheaper in a time/cost sort of comparison.

Also been trying to diagnose my idle issues and I think I've found a very likely factor, that'll be causing a huge vacuum leak! I've made an Imgur album comparing my engine bay to others on the net.

And I think I'm missing a pretty key piece of plumbing!

Link: http://imgur.com/a/U0Wkm
(Click on the images to make them bigger so the writing is readable)

Here is a video of my engine bay also to see the missing bits:
SR20 Avenger

Thoughts??

Nikolai

Saw it at the panel-beater. Painting almost finished :D

:D

Nikolai

Gave it a new home, in a storage place alongside some exotics/american muscle. Can't complain that it's in the dry and secure, particularly with this weather.

Not that you can tell but have installed semi-sealed beams with H4 Xenon bulbs so I can see at night, all lights hooked up with nice new bulbs, and new/near-new plastic lenses all-round.

Booked in at Magnum Automotive for surge tank and some tuning in two weeks. Can't wait!

Nikolai

So - this happened.

Gone to Jon Strange, of Strange Workshop to get a number of things done, and to get on the road!!

Nikolai

Fuel Pressure Regulator Installed

Surge Tank & Pump & Fuel Filter Nearly Installed - this is installed in the right side of the boot, the battery will be moved to the left side for a bit of balance. Everything for the surge tank is installed with these cool screw things, which don't need to have a nut & bolt setup.. a thread is screwed into the metal, and this screws into that thread (not sure how to explain it). Makes for easy removal etc. Also getting a hole cut into the boot floor for access to the top-mounted pump in the main fuel tank, so it doesn't need to be dropped each time access is needed!

Nikolai

Nikolai

Stuff finally turning up! Here's some bits and pieces:

(Not all of it is for me in the first photo)

Test Fitting...

Test Fitting...

Headers from Aussie - fit like a glove!

Link ECU fits in the old casing:

Also in the first image, you can spy a DEFI digital dash - that's what I've decided to go for.
Fitting the seats properly in the next few days, then prepping/painting interior black, then sending it off for the roll-cage - going 8point cage with metal dash and will paint the cage in yellow to match the body color.

streetracer75

That's one cool Avenger you have there. What carbs are you running?

Nikolai

Some progress. Seat mounts were a mission! These are positioned over the braces underneath the car; for added strength.
The old Recaro seat mounts were made of sheet metal >_< !!

Then it's been picked up to go for the rollcage and new dash. Have to take the glass out for the cage, so have got seals + chrome inserts coming at the cost of one-arm, and one-leg (eg from BasisNZ)

Nikolai

Nikolai

Hilariously beefy strut brace (and ugliest engine bay of the year?)

Back of car: