Main Menu

JoKer's '76 HN6783 Discussion

Started by avenga, June 05, 2012, 02:29:07 PM

JoKer

edit : just read the Manual for Cam : too hard basket : but deffo the twins :P

oldschool

The Alpine already has a warm cam, so no worries.
Take off the oil filler cap and look inside the rocker cover with a torch to see if it has double valve springs?
That will confirm if it still has its original Alpine motor, done 180,000 kms according to carjam.

NZTiger

Nikolai

Actually looks really staunch with the wheels! I like it!

JoKer

cheers yea : not in a hurry to change : rubbing was an issue on front left, a tickle with small hammer is easing it in

oldschool

All twin carb Alpines had a twin choke cable, so not too rare.
Those Solex/Dellorto/Weber carbs take a lot of setting up...choke sizes, jets, linkage etc and drink fuel like there's no tomorrow...ask Richard!
The Alpine motor in my super just has a single 1.50 CD like yours had and runs great...still noticeably more powerful than a standard super and very economical too.
Talking with Mal at Bygone Autos, it's all about intake air speed with Avengers...a single carb provides a high intake speed at low rpm = torquey...which is what you want with an auto tranny to get it into top gear ASAP.
Twin carbs aren't as torquey down low and the motor has to be revved to get the intake air speed up, so more useful for top end power.

avenga

Yeah Solex/Dellorto/Weber carbs are a mission to setup. You really need a dyno with a whole bunch of different jets and chokes to try getting it right.

Yup, Intake air speed is the key. That is why I went down from 36mm venturi down to 32mm. Made heaps of difference but as Ross said, twins are more for mid-top end

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

JoKer

Twin Strombergs on : I am doing a SUPER HAPPY DANCE

sorting filter / putting bonnet back on after smoko

avengertiger

nice score looks solid enough,much better with wide steels.nice little run around.
save up for a lsd......
more skids
oops forgot it was auto you gonna go manual?

JoKer

not in a million years : unless it breaks

trying to stay OEM with this one as much as possible

"investment" plus I reckon I am little eccentric, kinda loving the hate for the mags currently LOL tire rub may deal to 1 tire pretty shortly so will fix that for a while till at least I wear some more tyres off the Subaru

avenga

Looking good.

I use 98 in mine. I don't need valvemaster because I got hardened valve seats put in when I rebuilt my engine.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

oldschool

Standard Avengers were made for 95+ octane leaded fuel but will run on 91 okay if the timing is backed off a little, 10 deg against 15 deg using premium.
Logan runs 91 in his auto no problem and it doesn't have a vacuum advance dizzy either, same as an Alpine.
I put Valvemaster in the carb damper rather than in the gas tank, plus check the valve clearances once a year to keep on top of any valve seat recession.

kierbear

ive come to the darside and sepite being abroke student, run 98 in mine. It is far more economical. i prpbably havnt put 91 in it for about a year, and im pretty sure it doesnt hate me. its still going afterall!
Li'l Blu

JoKer

have heard the additives / lack of them will only show after 150,000km's by that time rebuild/new motor time anyway :P

kierbear

just a waiting game like everything else on the car then, not stressing
Li'l Blu