Main Menu

77 Blue Alpine

Started by NZTiger, October 04, 2015, 08:47:28 PM

NZTiger

Picked this up a few years ago from Pick a Part as a spare shell. I was lucky to get in early as it was only missing badges, wheels, steering rack and column, plus some of the headlining and rear carpet had been cut out.... Body was very sound with only some surface rust and 2 very small holes, 1 in lower rear qtr and the other in front panel. Diff was broken so probably the reason it was there. Engine runs and seems ok, no smoke. Speedo indicates 77K  which I feel is correct.

So now a few years later and I need to reduce my stock of "stuff" so this car needs to go, its far to good to break up and it would take ages to sell it all, so I'm restoring it and I'm very pleased with the result so far.
Work completed to date is rust has been welded, half of the paint has been stripped off where there was light surface rust, then chemically treated , 2 K primer for whole car

and 2K top coat

and new Headlining

Original vinyl roof is very good, just needs a good clean. Seat are good except to 2 small splits for which I'm looking for some vinyl to repair and they need a good clean. Door cards are mint just needing a clean.
I'm also planning on sand blasting and repainting a lot of suspension parts and under car stuff. Also will need to re-chrome a rear bumper.....

avenga

That's looking really nice.

Good to see another Alpine is going to be back on the roads.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

oldschool

Yes it will replace mine! Good to see a 77 Hillman Alpine...has Chrysler struts, brake booster and a 1.75" rod operated single carby!
No rev counter though...maybe the parts bin was getting empty by 1977?!
I think only the Autos got the Mitsubishi seats with headrests...those look like standard Alpine low backs.

JoKer

awesome this is why you needed a back seat? / we should start a discussion thread rather than ramble in the build thrad :P

NZTiger

Correct about the back seat to get a bit of vinyl from the front panel, but a mate thinks he has a bit of this vinyl so will see what he finds..

Struts changed in about 75 away from the roller bearing top mount to solid rubber at about the same time as the springs changed from flat ends to open ends. I assume it was a cost cutting change.

No rev counter, I had planned on fitting one as I have 2 spare clusters with rev counters, but after taking them apart I discovered that it wouldn't fit as the 77's cluster was made by a different supplier and the parts are not interchangeable. I considered changing the cluster but the 77 is all metric and the others were imperial plus the printed circuit was in poor condition. I also want to keep the 77 as original as possible. I would like a rev counter so if I could get the correct one would be good i.e. metric

Alpine GLS's which were all autos were a higher spec in lots of places and had different seats. A mixture of Avenger base frame with the back frame from the Mitzi 1850GL which had adjustable headrests, they were also plusher and had cloth faces as an option.

Spent the evening sand blasting a bunch of bits for powder-coating tomorrow and also converted some Rear lower links to HD.

oldschool

That's interesting about the rev counter. I've only heard of Smiths or Delco types. Both my 1974 and 1975 Alpines had Delco instruments. The 1974 didn't have a rev counter and I got one from Speedy Spares. I think the 1975 had one from the factory as the wiring looked original.

blekkja

Quote from: oldschool on October 05, 2015, 05:23:18 PM
Yes it will replace mine! Good to see a 77 Hillman Alpine...has Chrysler struts, brake booster and a 1.75" rod operated single carby!
No rev counter though...maybe the parts bin was getting empty by 1977?!
I think only the Autos got the Mitsubishi seats with headrests...those look like standard Alpine low backs.

That 1.75 carby is gold. If my twins don't behave themselves they are coming right off and it will be going back on.

Wondered about those seats as well. Haven't come across them in anything else. That car also had the Valiant mirrors: Todd would just chuck anything on them they had I guess!
Chill Datto, bro!

NZTiger

Painting is now finished which included inside the boot and engine bay where practical with engine in.
Next task was fixing upholstery, I couldn't get any original vinyl but did get some for Chrysler which was a little more beige so have used this for the new rear parcel shelf. To fix the seats I removed the rear cushion cover and used the front/side panel to make the replacement panels for the faces and then used the Chrysler beige to replace the front/side panel, but it shouldn't be noticeably different owing to its position and angle.
Split in Rear cushion, there was a similar split in drivers seat.

Repaired

All done and cleaned, almost as new..

NZTiger

Next is tiding up the underside so sandblasted lots of bits and then either powdercoated or sprayed 2k Black...
And while at it upgraded rear lower links to heavy duty with strengthening plates..

and powdercoated all these bits..

Sprayed Tank and guard and seat runners..

All the front suspension ready for assembling. Thought I would need to replace the shocks but there were no oil leaks and the shafts are perfect..

Finished and ready for fitting..

Now all fitted and on its wheels, next on the mechanical side is to take it for a drive to check the transmission. If all ok then the rear axle is coming out to be tidied & painted.
Engine is running sweetly, not smoke or blow by.
Inside I have tested all the electrics including fitted an electric windscreen washer and fitted a "period" AWA Clarion radio.
Before fitting seats I need a new rear carpet that has been ordered and due mid week so the interior should be completed by the end of next week.

NZTiger

New rear carpet has arrived so now I have everything to finish interior. Carpet fitted along with rear seat....

Now front seats fitted...

Finally fitted the bonnet..

Now I'm getting down to detailing.
Adjusted all the doors and fitted missing window winders.
I sorted through all my bits and have found a good pair of Bumpers, very dirty so needing a good clean and cut & polish. The back of them had a little surface rust so I wire brushed and the chemically treated them and the sprayed silver.

Next  major task it to colour sand and cut and polish the paint...just need to find the buffer?

NZTiger

Now on the road with new wof and rego...