Main Menu

what even is this and do i need it

Started by kierbear, January 07, 2023, 04:05:16 PM

kierbear

hi i am working on the avenger at the moment and having a wonderful time remembering that for every one thing that i fix, two things break. including these hoses on the bottom of the radiator (just the connector is broken which feels like no big deal). the Haynes manual is unhelpful with regard to what they actually are but Jared has mooted that they are for cooling the gearbox (automatic).

what are they?
do i actually need them?

i am trying to decide how to proceed with a new radiator / re-coring the current one
pictures of the hoses, roughly where they sit in the engine bay and the connections to the radiator

Li'l Blu

kierbear

Li'l Blu

kierbear

Li'l Blu

avenga

Yeah, they are the cooling lines for the auto. The radiators on the automatic cars have an additional cooler in the bottom of the radiator for cooling the gearboxes.

The auto radiators are also triple core instead of dual core on the manual cars. I run an auto radiator on my green avenger because they cool better with the extra core, but I don?t have the bottom hoses installed.

Is your car an automatic? If yes then you would need the transmission cooler, if it?s a manual then you won?t need them. trace the hoses back and see where they go.

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

JoKer

Yep BW35 in there & bugger here I was thinking it might have been over engineered hah

as in I know some other Makes don't run coolers, though they are added on for events like Towing

and yeah I forgot it's a bigger rad : best of the best there!

had mine done @ A1 Rad's in Palmy, not sure if there's a HB option

avenga

The BW35 in my Chrysler Valiant Charger didn't come with a trans cooler but I added an aftermarket one because I did use it for towing my Avenger race car.

I think it's good that Avengers have a trans cooler as stock and I would definitely recommend keeping the cooler

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

kierbear

thanks !! this has now become the least of my worries after the flood but ill still get around to it
Li'l Blu