Main Menu

Carb swap

Started by Acloizou, October 26, 2012, 09:34:25 AM

Acloizou

Hello guys, am new on the forums. I got a Chrysler avenger 1300 GL 1978, just bought it 1 month ago, atm it have a single stromberg 150CD on it, and i bought a twink stromberg 150CD carbs with the twin manifold, is it possible to fit on my car?

JoKer

yup, admitedly I have only ever dealt with 1600's

my current 1600 still has the single exhaust manifold with a blanking plate on it

get the twin exhaust mani to go with it if you can

oldschool

I wouldn't recommend fitting twin carbs on a 1300 unless it's used for racing.
Avengers are very dependent on fast air flow through the carb to produce torque at lower rpms.
Since twin carbs have 1/2 the air flow of a single carb, they reduce the motor torque down low...but increase the power at higher rpms through better breathing...which is why they're used for racing.
As a 1300 doesn't have much torque to start with, fitting twin carbs will make it thirsty and less fun to drive, as you'll need to keep the revs high and 'row it like a boat' with the gear lever to get anywhere!  
The 1600 Alpines came with twin carbs and are okay to drive, as the 1600 motor produces more torque than a 1300 anyway....still a 1600 twin carb Avenger has less torque than a 1600 single carb one.

oldschool

Here's an article on fitting bike carbs...haven't seen an Avenger with them yet??!!

http://www.classicfordmag.co.uk/files/2011/07/CLF166.bike_.pdf

oldschool

Here's a choke size chart to help with carb selection...

avenga

That seems about right. I use 32mm Venturi on my 1500 which pulls 7,000rpm

1975 Hillman Avenger 1300 Super, 1972 Chrysler Valiant Charger 770, 1980 Chrysler Avenger 1.3GL

http://www.carphotos.co.nz
RPM Photography

oldschool

Maybe 36mm is needed for max power at 7000rpm as each cylinder is 385cc?
The 32's might be causing it to lean out at high revs?
I think you tried bigger chokes but it bogged down at lower revs...that old Avenger flow problem!
If there's 34mm available, that might be a good compromise Richard?