Main Menu

Avenger Lowering?

Started by streetracer75, June 19, 2014, 12:58:27 AM

streetracer75

I am wanting to lower my Avenger and have been offered a set of GAZ height adjustable units. I think they may have originally been for a Sunbeam TI? Do you know if they will fit my 73' Avenger? (I have attached a picture).

I was just going to buy a set of the GAZ GHA ones but I am thinking these will be much better?

JoKer

whoa sweet, no idea BUT if you're in NZ is the cost of getting a cert as well worth it?

Lowering springs are generally the best bet/option

streetracer75

I am in the UK so changing these wont affect the MOT.

Can you just chop or fit a shorter spring to lower the front end on an Avenger? I thought with the strut type they have fitted you couldn't do it this way?

oldschool

The Avenger has heaps of turns on the front springs, so can be cut to lower and still remain captive.
Not so the rear...fit wagon springs as they're shorter and thicker...simple.
Those Sunbeam struts won't fit your Hillman unless you change the top hats too.
Hillmans have a 1/2" strut thread while Chryslers/Sunbeams are 9/16"

streetracer75

Ok I glad you told me about them not fitting. I think I am leaning towards just chopping then as this will be a cheaper.

Do you think I should just chop or invest in a set of shorter uprated ones? What would a safe distance to lower on the front? I was thinking about 2" - 2.5".

oldschool

Shorter uprated ones are better as chopped ones may bottom out...only chop one turn at a time then test!